soul food Sunday part I


There is a tradition on Sundays at our house, it started one day when I was looking for inspiration in my vast collection of cookbooks. I came across two that I have overlooked for quite some time. One is called "The Black Family Reunion Cookbook" and the other, "Healthy Soul Food". I started making a few dishes inspired by the books every Sunday and now the recipes have been incorporated into my collection. I am going to share with you a new soul food staple each week most likely on Mondays... today it's my southern Grandmother's biscuit recipe.

*it took me MANY attempts to get this PERFECT pat attention to my notes!
4 cups flour
1 tsp salt
8 tsp baking powder (make sure it's fresh-date on bottom of can)
1 tsp cream of tartar (don't omit)
2 tbs sugar
1 cup veg. shortening
1 cup milk
Combine all the DRY ingredients into a bowl, cut the shortening into the flour with two knives or a pastry blender.Add the milk and stir JUST UNTIL the mixture forms a ball. Place in fridge 20min. Preheat oven 425. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead it ONLY 14 times. Pat out 1" thick.( thick is the key here)Cut with a 2" biscuit cutter.
Place on cookie sheet (I put parchment on mine) 1" apart.
BRUSH THE TOPS WITH LOTS OF MELTED BUTTER! (yum)
Bake 15-20 min. Keep an eye on em though...sometimes mine bake quick. ENJOY!

Comments

Popular Posts